The (Canadian) Thanksgiving Edition:
- DemoCamp 15 will be hosted by the University of Toronto on October 29. It will run from 4-7 instead of 6-9. Grab your spots now..
- The Future of Web Startups >> a paul graham essay – There’s something interesting happening right now. Startups are undergoing the same transformation that technology does when it becomes cheaper.
- The Distinguished Lectures series in Computer Science at U of T – quite a list: * Oct 30: Jon Kleinberg (Cornell) * Nov 27: Sanjeev Arora (Princeton) * Dec 11: Robert Kahn (CNRI) * Jan 8: Lydia Kavraki (Rice) * Jan 22: Carla Ellis (Duke) * Feb 5: Rick Rashid (Microsoft) * Feb 12: Luis Von Ahn (CMU) * Mar 4: Sebastian Thrun. Greg has links into more mind expanding details…
- FriendVox THE FaceBook IM Client Is Live – wholly integrated, browser based Facebook instant messaging client. Thereâ��s nothing to download, nothing to install and nothing to register. You can get started straight away. facebook im
- It’s Catmas 2007! – the first Friday of every October should be a day when people indulge in that most blogging of activities, posting a picture of a cat on your blog.
- Wi-Fi Detecting Light-Up T-Shirt – Boing Boing Gadgets – a “Wi-Fi Detector Shirt,” which actually displays the signal from 802.11b/g with glowing bars on the front. But what I really want is a solar powered version of this
- Canadian mint: We own the words “one cent” and Toronto can’t use them!!! – A campaign to raise funds for cash-strapped Canadian cities has been contemptuously sabotaged by the federal government, who are demanding thousands of dollars in royalties for use of the “copyrighted” image of a Canadian penny and the phrase “one cent.” Ridiculous!
- Is Space the 3rd option for sustainable development? – “Ecologism” aims for a post industrial era of lessened use of carbon and requires a change in the way our current political and social climate works. Environmentalism aims to keep life much as it is, only using funds to develop, repair and nurture the environment.
- David Crow: Toronto SharePoint Camp – Oct 20, 2007 – for developers and administrators of Mircosofts SharePoint.
- TOKYOMANGO: Japanese Robots Arrive On The Moon – Exciting day for JAXA! Japanese robots arrived on the moon for the first time today. Sadly not AstroBoy or Gundam.
- Arthur C. Clarke on Sputnik – Boing Boing – In honour of the 50th anniversary of the launch of Sputnik, IEEE Spectrum interviewed science fiction author and futurist Arthur C. Clarke.
- Free old anatomical atlases – Boing Boing – a collection of scanned in high-rez, public-domain anatomical atlases from the National Institutes of Health. There’s some beautiful squishy bits there, ripe for use in design projects.
- Strange + 8-Bit + Anime = Str8nime. Learn DIY Filmmaking from M dot Strange – anime on amphetamines with a throbbing techno beat and a dash of Kabuki.
– Wifi Clothing teeShirt wishlist
– photography illustration education biology
Pingback: domain free » Weird Wonderful Web Links for October 5th